Problems that could arise if company does not have effective configuration management policies:
1. New versions of software systems cannot be created effectively as they change. Developers cannot keep track of the changes to the software.
2. Controlling the costs and effort involved in making changes to a system is difficult.
3. Wrong version of a system may be delivered to the customers or forget where the software source code for a particular version of the system or component is stored
4. If someone leaves the company, protecting investments in software and the ability to reproduce a build with the correct components or continue development on a project is difficult.
5. Ineffective quality management process because configuration management may be seen as part of a more general quality management process.