Reasons for the different inter-AS and intra-AS protocol used in the Internet:
• The policy issues of the inter-AS and the intra-AS leads to the usage of the different inter-AS and intra-AS in the Internet.
• In inter-AS, the traffic originating in each Autonomous System (AS) cannot pass through another specific AS.
• The BGP (Border Gateway Protocol) carries the path attributes and provides for the controlled distribution of routing information leading to the policy-based routing decisions.
• In the Intra-AS routing protocol, the Autonomous System (AS) is under the same administrative control. So, the policy issues play a less important role in choosing routes.
• The Scalability is one of the reasons for the usage of the different inter-AS and intra-AS in the Internet.
• The ability to scale and handle the routing among a large number of networks is difficult in the inter-AS routing protocol.
• The ability to scale the routing is less in Intra-AS routing. if there is a large single administrative domain, then it can be divided into smaller AS’s.
• The inter-AS is the policy-oriented protocol. The policy of the inter-AS dominates the quality and the performance associated with the routes among the AS’s.
• The intra-AS focuses on the performance of the routing on a router because of a single AS.
If you found this answer helpful, please upvote and share with other students in your network.