Open Shortest Path First (OSPF):
• In an OSPF autonomous system, the system is divided hierarchically into areas.
• Each area consists of the routers, which helps in broadcasting the link state to all other routers present in the area by running its own OSPF link-state routing algorithm.
• An area in an autonomous system is the set of networks and hosts that are grouped together. The area should be a collection of contiguous IP sub netted networks.
Introducing area in an autonomous system:
• In every autonomous system, one OSPF area is configured as the backbone area which is responsible for routing traffic between other areas in the autonomous system.
• OSPF area helps in knowing the link state of the routers.
Hence, concept of area is introduced for routing the traffic to route the packets in an autonomous system.
If you found this answer helpful, please upvote and share with other students in your network.