• Managing server is an application in the network operations system.
• Managing server is mainly focused for the network management purpose.
• Managing server controls the collection.
• The information in the network management can be processed, analysis and displayed by the managing server.
• Managed device is a equipment which includes its software and which is included on a managed network.
• Managed devices can be router, host, modem, switch, thermometer or other network-connected device.
Network management agent:
• A process running in the managed device which communicates with the managing server is called as network management agent.
• Under the supervision of managing server, network management agent takes local decisions.
Management Information Base (MIB):
• The information about each managed object which is within the managed device is collected.
• MIB object can be a counter (like number of IP datagrams which is discarded at the router) or the number of UDP segments which are received at the host.
• Formal definition language is used to make ensure that the syntaxes and semantics in the network managed data are well defined and unambiguous.
• SMI (Structure of Management Information) is a data description language in which the MIB objects are specified.
If you found this answer helpful, please upvote and share with other students in your network.