The following are some data processing applications in businesses:
1. Process control: In the production process, a computer is connected to some plant to control and monitor it. The system analyses the input data and initiates action to control the ongoing process.
2. Accounting: Data Processing systems can be deployed to maintain the accounting records and in preparation of final accounts.
3. Payroll preparation: Data processing systems are used to record the operations of the number of employees of different departments, leave taken, deductions, preparation of payroll as well as others important employee information.
4. Sales Analysis: Data processing systems are highly useful in sales analysis. It helps the sales manager to make sales forecasts, and based of the forecasts decide on what actions to take for business growth.
5. Inventory Management: Data processing is used to maintain up-to-date information about stock, their costs and to initiate orders when the stock is low.
6. Office Automation: Modern businesses depend on computer systems to manage most aspects of their business.
7. Banking and Insurance: Data processing systems are widely used in the banking industry to provide quick and reliable customer service.
8. Insurance and stock broking: Insurance companies and stock broking firms make use of computerised systems to process the large volumes of data they work with.
9. Managerial aid: Data processing systems as widely deployed in decision-making for solving business problems. It is in-fact very useful particularly in the area of linear programming, PERT, CPM etc.