Software engineers should working on the specification and development of safely-related systems be professionally certified in some way because:
• Some applications contain millions of lines of code for making them comparable in complexity to the most complex modern machines with very high reliability expected.
• Software engineers advocate many different technologies and practices, with much disagreement.
• Software engineers use a wide variety of technologies: compilers, code repositories, text editors.
• They also use a wide variety of practices to carry out and coordinate their efforts: pair programming, code reviews and daily stand up meetings.
• Some organizations have specialists to perform each of the tasks in the software development process. Other organizations required software engineers to do many or all of them.
• In large projects, people may specialize in only one role. In small projects, people may fill several or all roles at the same time.
So, certification of software engineers is an important issue. Some see it as a tool to improve professional practice.