Role of “core network” in the 3G cellular data architecture:
• The core network in the 3G network connects radio access network to the public Internet
• The advantage of core network is that the core network works along with components of the existing cellular voice network.
• The existing cellular voice network remains the same. Some necessary cellular data functionality are added in parallel to the existing cellular voice network
• The core network contains two types of nodes.
1. Serving GPRS(Generalized Packet Radio Service) support nodes(SGSNs) :
2. Gateway GPRS(Generalized Packet Radio Service) support nodes(GGSNs)
• SGSNs interacts with MSC for that area, to forward datagrams between mobile nodes in the radio access network to which SGSN is attached and GGSN.
• GGSN is as a gateway and it connects multiple SGSNs into the Internet.
Please leave a comment below and share with other students in your network if you found this answer helpful. Happy learning!