Parallel computing is necessary because it improves the performance and speed of the computer due to the fact that many calculations or the execution of processes are carried out simultaneously.
Factors that enhance performance:
- reduced instructions per processor due to inclusion of multicore processors
- if there’s a stall in one pipeline, the other is not affected because they’re independent of each other.
Architectural features that contribute to high performance of modern processors;
- cores : CPUs with multiple cores have more power to run multiple programs at the same time
- clock speed : indicates how fast the CPU can run
- cache size : the more cache there is, the more data can be stored closer to the CPU
- processor type : RISC CPUs run at a lower clock speed than CISC CPUs. They can perform simpler tasks more quickly than CISC, but more intensive tasks will be better on a CISC CPU.