A distributed system can be seen as a collection of autonomous computers that are connected using a communication network and they communicate with each other by passing messages. The different processors have their own local memory. They use a distribution middleware and they help in sharing different resources and capabilities to provide users with a single and integrated coherent network.
Distributed computing is a field of computer science that studies distributed systems and the computer program that runs in a distributed system is called a distributed program.
A distributed system requires concurrent components, communication network and a synchronization mechanism. A distributed system allows resource sharing, including software by systems connected to the network.
Some common applications of distributed computing are:
- Intranets, Internet, WWW, email.
- Telecommunication networks: Telephone networks and Cellular networks.
- Network of branch office computers -Information system to handle automatic processing of orders,
- Real-time process control: Aircraft control systems,
- Electronic banking,
- Airline reservation systems,
- Sensor networks,
- Mobile and Pervasive Computing systems.
Please leave a comment below and share with other students in your network if you found this answer helpful. Happy learning!