Some of the disadvantages of the single-level directory include the following:
- It is impossible to have two files with the same name.
- The directory may be very big therefore searching for a file may take a long time.
- Protection cannot be implemented for multiple users.
- There are no ways to group the same kind of files.
- Choosing the unique name for every file is a bit complex and limits the number of files in the system because most Operating Systems limit the number of characters used to construct the file name.