Some major differences between the two web servers include the following:
- Apache is mostly used for Unix, Linux, Windows and Solaris platforms, while Nginx is mostly used for Unix-like systems, and does not completely support Windows.
- Apache was developed by the Apache group and initially released on 25 March 1999, Nginx was developed by Nginx and initially released on 4 October 2004.
- Apache is written in C and XML, while Nginx is written in C language.
- Apache is designed for web servers, while Nginx is designed for proxy servers as well as web servers.
- In heavy web traffic, Apache cannot support multiple requests, Nginx can support multiple client requests with limited hardware resources.