Some common attributes belonging to a file include the following:
- File name: Every file carries a name, which is recognized in the file system
- Identifier: This might also be known as a file extension, which helps in identifying the file, common extension for text file is txt.
- Type: Each file belongs to a type, these types include, video files, audio, pictures, text, executable files etc.
- File location: Each file carries a specific location on the system's memory
- Time and date: Each file has a time stamp attached to it, this time shows when last the file was modified.