The chief characteristics of SMP are as listed below;
- There are two or more similar processors of comparable capability.
- These processors share the same main memory and I/O facilities and are interconnected by a bus or other internal connection scheme, such that memory access time is approximately the same for each processor.
- All processors share access to I/O devices, either through the same channels or through different channels that provide paths to the same device.
- All processors can perform the same functions (hence the term symmetric).
- The system is controlled by an integrated operating system that provides interaction between processors and their programs at the job, task, file, and data element levels.